Friendly, Communal Group Looking for Housemate
We are a group of friends, most of whom met by living in our three adjacent cottages and we are looking for someone to let one of our rooms. Even though the opening is in one of the houses (with two housemates) we are very much a group, so moving in would be to some extent joining all of us in our adventures. Some details:
• All bills are included, the actual rent is £367 pcm, and bills currently work out to £71 each, so £438 in total, but this is subject to occasional small variation.
• We're just on the edge of Cambridge, almost in Trumpington, but the town centre is 15 minutes away at a leisurely cycle speed (10 if you’re in a rush), the train station is even closer, and housemates commute all over the city every day. It's a pretty convenient location.
• The room is a first floor room, currently with a double bed, chest of drawers, desk, and a built in cupboard. It overlooks the road - previous housemates seem to have not found road noise a big issue, but if you're v noise sensitive then a thing to think about.
• We have off-road parking, as well as a small orchard, and a garden where some of the housemates grow veg and pretty flowers
• Between the three houses, there are eight people, ranging from 23 to 33 in age.
•Your potential direct housemates are a research technician and a city tour guide, but we're a pretty varied bunch. Other almost-housemates (in adjacent but technically separate houses) include PhD students, more science-y researchers and a costumier. We're also quite international, with Canadian, German, Welsh-Spanish, cambridge local, and 'proudly northern' contingents (past formations have included Bulgarian, Hungarian, Italian, Scottish, French, Spanish and US housemates).
It's a broad political church, but we veer towards the 'queer-lefty-hippie' side of things in general.
• We have a fairly high proportion of vegetarians (4 of the 7 of us), so low meat diets are preferred, though omnivores are allowed :P.
• The kitchen is very small. This is just a truth of the world. We've managed to feed 30 people out of our three kitchens for our annual thanksgivingmas dinner, so it can be done, but you should know they're all small.
• The house has a living room, kitchen, and bathroom, as well as the three bedrooms. We have a microwave, and washing machine.
• We like to be quite social. People across the houses often eat together, pub, play games, watch films or tv, do sports, go swimming in the river, occasionally go on trips to places. It's not required to be social all the time, but we'd like to find someone who would find that aspect a positive thing (In that spirit, it's not first come first moving in). Also it's not 'a party house' but historically we've enjoyed having a couple of big house parties each year.
• Not a deal-breaker but in an ideal world we're looking for someone who is arty, as the proportion of scientists has been slowly creeping up, and the non-scientists are starting to get alarmed!
• In a similar vein also not a deal breaker, but we're ideally looking for someone who is non-male, to try and maintain some gender balance across the houses.
• The room is available from March 1st when one of our currently dearly beloved housemates is moving out.
What we are looking for:
• Someone who is nice, friendly, moderately tidy, and interested in joining in things (not that it's mandatory, just some of the time). And as above, ideally not a scientist :P.
• The houses are on the old side, so they're not in great condition (somewhat tumbledown..). Just a thing you should know if you've got this far.
- House share
- £438 pcm (double)
- Minimum term
- 3 months
- Maximum term
- Bills included?
- Disabled access
- Living room
- Broadband included
- # housemates
- Total # rooms
- 23 to 33
- Any pets?
- Climbing, Board Games, Trips, Crafts, Music, Various, etc.
- 2 Males
New housemate preferences
- Couples OK?
- Smoking OK?
- Pets OK?
- Don't mind
- Housing Benefit
- Female preferred
Report this ad
We have staff moderating our ads 7 days per week, to keep quality high. Please help us in our job and let us know if there is any problem with this ad, for example:
- The photos are not of the room advertised
- The description is misleading
- The ad is generic rather than for a specific available room
- The advertiser is not a current flatmate