A successful company is like a flatshare - it’s the people that make it work
Are you looking for a rewarding job? With over 3 million visits per month, we’re the UK’s leading flat and house share website. We’re in the top 10 UK property sites and the top 500 sites overall for UK traffic.
Over 10,000 people attend our London SpeedFlatmating events every year and we took the events to New York in 2012. SpareRoom New York launched in the autumn of 2011.
In 2012 we won two awards - Best Specialist Website and Best Customer Service - at the UK Landlord & Letting Awards, and in 2013 our founder and MD was named by Tech City Insider as “one of the top 100 people who are making digital London tick”.
The pioneering online business that has transformed the
way people look for somewhere to live
- Daily Express
Life at SpareRoom
SpareRoom’s staff are a diverse bunch of creative individuals who enjoy being part of a small team that packs a big punch.
We have two offices — our main one in central Manchester's Northern Quarter and another in London's trendy Spitalfields, a stone's throw from the heart of Tech City. Both offer a relaxed and friendly working environment in light and open plan offices. Apart from it being an enjoyable place to work, SpareRoom offers a range of additional benefits such as sports membership contributions and extra holidays the longer you work for us.
Could this be you?
We’re looking for talented and enthusiastic individuals to add to our growing team, and to help us help millions of people find somewhere new to live. If you are creative and hard working, you will see your ideas having a direct effect on SpareRoom and how it develops.
We have the following roles available:
Foundation Android Developer (Manchester)
SpareRoom is looking for a Foundation Android Developer to join our apps team. We are currently undertaking a complete refresh of our apps to fully embrace Google’s Material Design. We are looking for someone with a genuine passion for Android, a keen eye for detail, desire to learn and create intuitive apps that help people find their perfect home or housemate easily.
- Developing features using Kotlin with performance and tests in mind
- Documenting and communicating progress of tasks
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Object-Oriented Programming
- Knowledge of Android Architecture Components libraries and Jetpack
- Approaching problems logically and methodically but also having confidence in asking for help when stuck
Skills (Nice to have)
- Material Design
- Constraint Layout
- Git and GitHub
- RESTful APIs & JSON
- Application lifecycle
- Unit testing
Site Moderator (Manchester)
Starting salary of £17,000 p/a, raising to £17,500 on completion of probation. Plus you’ll be eligible to earn an extra £120 a month as part of our bonus scheme, which boosts your earnings to £18,940 p/a
Our Site Moderation Team work alongside SpareRoom’s award winning Customer Service Team who provide outstanding support to SpareRoom’s 9.5 million registered users. Our Site Moderators are responsible for moderating and approving all user-generated content, scam and fraud detection and all compliance related issues.
You’ll be part of a busy team who work hard but have fun along the way, and are renowned for excellent service.
On a daily basis you’ll be required to communicate directly with users of our site via email and phone. You'll interact with customers to provide and process information in response to enquiries, concerns and requests about our website and services. You'll also be responsible for helping to maintain the site through administrative tasks.
In addition to the monthly bonus scheme, we also offer a Private Healthcare Scheme, Contributory Pension Scheme, Travel Season Ticket Loan, Cycle to Work Scheme and monthly gym contributions (all applicable upon the successful completion of a 3-6 month probationary period). We also award our staff with extra holidays the longer you work for us!
We're recruiting for a full time position which includes some evenings and alternate weekends. If you're interested in this position, please ensure that a cover letter outlining why you feel you'd be suitable for the role is included when applying.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Investigate and take appropriate action on reports of suspicious adverts.
- Provide information and advice to other departments and customers in relation to scam detection.
- Assist in developing, monitoring and implementing processes to aid scam detection and prevent future instances.
- Maintain information records and collate data to aid future investigations.
- Ensure advert content including photos and videos meet the terms and conditions of the website.
- Complete individual customer verifications and tenant reference requests.
- Assist with the completion of DPA requests from relevant authorities.
- Communicate with site users over the phone where necessary.
- Investigate and respond to reports received from site users via email.
Skills and experience:
- A strong customer focus with the ability to deliver great service, both individually and as part of a team.
- Experience in a web based company. A focus on fraud or risk investigation and resolution would be beneficial.
- A background in complaint resolution would be useful, but not essential.
- Confident and positive personality with excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail are essential.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new investigative techniques.
- Ability to remain calm and empathetic when under pressure or dealing with difficult situations.
- Able to understand the customers point of view but be able to communicate our policies and values effectively.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and prioritise your workload.
- We're an online service so regular internet use and knowledge will go a long way.
We are looking for the right people to support our business, who will grow with us and help us to achieve more. For these reasons, we are looking for candidates who can demonstrate the below qualities:Passionate
- Shows integrity.
- Is committed to providing excellent service.
- Cares about customers, colleagues and the business.
- Has a confident, positive and upbeat personality.
- Is continuously developing.
- Demonstrates high energy and eagerness to learn.
- A committed team player.
- A great communicator.
- Motivates and inspires others within their team.
Get in touch
Send us your CV and tell us why the SpareRoom team needs you: jobs at spareroom dot co dot uk
Where we are
SpareRoom's main office is in Manchester, right in the vibrant and buzzing Northern Quarter. The contemporary style studio office space makes for a brilliant working atmosphere inside a beautiful Grade II listed building. Our second office is in London, which is London - need we say more?