A successful company is like a flatshare - it’s the people that make it work
Are you looking for a rewarding job? With over 3 million visits per month, we’re the UK’s leading flat and house share website. We’re in the top 10 UK property sites and the top 500 sites overall for UK traffic.
Over 10,000 people attend our London SpeedFlatmating events every year and we took the events to New York in 2012. SpareRoom New York launched in the autumn of 2011.
In 2012 we won two awards - Best Specialist Website and Best Customer Service - at the UK Landlord & Letting Awards, and in 2013 our founder and MD was named by Tech City Insider as “one of the top 100 people who are making digital London tick”.
The pioneering online business that has transformed the
way people look for somewhere to live
- Daily Express
Life at SpareRoom
SpareRoom’s staff are a diverse bunch of creative individuals who enjoy being part of a small team that packs a big punch.
We have two offices — our main one in central Manchester's Northern Quarter and another in London's trendy Spitalfields, a stone's throw from the heart of Tech City. Both offer a relaxed and friendly working environment in light and open plan offices. Apart from it being an enjoyable place to work, SpareRoom offers a range of additional benefits such as sports membership contributions and extra holidays the longer you work for us.
Could this be you?
We’re looking for talented and enthusiastic individuals to add to our growing team, and to help us help millions of people find somewhere new to live. If you are creative and hard working, you will see your ideas having a direct effect on SpareRoom and how it develops.
We have the following roles available:
Android Developer (Manchester)
SpareRoom are looking for an experienced Android Developer to join our apps team. We have apps in the UK & US markets and we are currently undertaking a complete refresh of these to fully embrace Google’s Material Design. The role will include technical strategy and implementation as part of the wider apps team and you will work closely with our API, Web and UX teams. We are looking for someone with a genuine passion for the Android ecosystem and a desire to create an intuitive, low friction app that helps people find their perfect home or housemate easily.
- Develop & debug the app using Kotlin and Java
- Integrate Firebase services and Analytics platforms
Improve app performance and efficiency:
- Response time enhancements
- Performance when fetching remote resources
- Conversion enhancements, in collaboration with the UX team
- Battery consumption
- Image & video manipulation
- Behaviour customisation based on preference management
- Profiling the app’s memory, network & CPU usage
- Staged rollouts of different product builds
- Code obfuscation and secure API interaction
- Integration with RESTful and bespoke APIs
- Developing features to industry best practices, including Material Design
- Embedding a test lead approach to development for code and UI changes
- Team development and objective definition
- Understanding of Software Patterns
- Experience with OO Programming, especially with Kotlin for native Android apps
- Experience with layered architectures
- Experience with TDD and Unit Testing (experience with automated UI testing a plus)
- Focus on UI design principles and making apps work intuitively
- Knowledge of Architecture Components
- Constraint Layout
- Google Play Services
- Google Maps
- Crash reporting tools
- Dependency Injection
- Continuous Integration
- Git and GitHub flow
- Track record in native Android development for high traffic ecommerce organisation(s) or similar
- Demonstrable app portfolio, with clarity on involvement during development
- 2+ years of mobile native application development experience
- Success with optimising UX and conversion through effective app development
- Awareness of trends and developments in the market that affect the Android ecosystem
- Day to day experience of working with agile development practices, including TDD & BDD
Site Moderator (Manchester)
£16,500 - plus the opportunity to earn a performance related bonus of £120 per month.
We also offer a Private Health Care Scheme, Travel Season Ticket Loan, Cycle to Work Scheme, Gym Contributions (on the successful completion of a 3-month probationary period). In addition to this, we award our staff with extra holidays the longer you work for us!
Our Site Moderation team work alongside SpareRoom's award-winning Customer Service Team who provide outstanding support to SpareRoom's 7 million registered users. Our Site Moderators are mainly responsible for moderating and approving all user generated content, scam and fraud detection and compliance issues.
You'll be part of a busy team who work hard but who have fun along the way and are renowned for excellent service. The role is varied and will involve using both in-house and well-known computer systems.
On a daily basis, you will be required to communicate directly with users of our site via email and phone. You will interact with customers to provide and process information in response to enquiries, concerns and requests about our website and services. You will also be responsible for helping to maintain the site through administrative tasks.
Responsibilities and duties:
- To investigate and take appropriate action on reports of suspicious adverts.
- To provide information and advice to other departments and customers in relation to scam detection.
- To assist in developing, monitoring and implementing processes to aid scam detection and prevent future instances.
- Maintain information records and collate data to aid future investigations.
- Ensure advert content including photos and videos meet the terms and conditions of the website.
- Complete individual customer verifications and tenant reference requests.
- Assist with the completion of DPA requests from relevant authorities.
- Communicate with site users over the phone where necessary.
- Investigate and respond to reports received from site users via email.
Skills and experience:
- A strong customer focus with the ability to deliver great service, both individually and as part of a team.
- Experience in a web based company. A focus on fraud or risk investigation and resolution would be beneficial.
- Confident and positive personality with excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail are essential.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new investigative techniques.
- Calm and empathetic - Able to understand the customer's point of view but be able to communicate our policies and values effectively.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and prioritise your workload.
- We're an online service so regular internet use and knowledge will go a long way.
We are looking for the right people to support our business, who will grow with us and help us to achieve more. For these reasons, we are looking for candidates who can demonstrate the below qualities:Passionate
- Shows integrity.
- Is committed to providing excellent service.
- Cares about customers, colleagues and the business.
- Has a confident, positive and upbeat personality.
- Is continuously developing.
- Demonstrates high energy and eagerness to learn.
- A committed team player.
- A great communicator.
- Motivates and inspires others within their team.
Our Site Moderators work full time with working hours on a shift pattern of 10 days per fortnight, including every other weekend with one set day off in the week. Our office hours are 8 am - 9 pm.
Get in touch
Send us your CV and tell us why the SpareRoom team needs you: jobs at spareroom dot co dot uk
Where we are
SpareRoom's main office is in Manchester, right in the vibrant and buzzing Northern Quarter. The contemporary style studio office space makes for a brilliant working atmosphere inside a beautiful Grade II listed building. Our second office is in London, which is London - need we say more?