Two Rooms Available in Queer/Trans Leftist House
We are two people moving into a four bedroom house looking for two others to join us in the process of creating a queer collective home.
Location: Downham, Lewisham
*Please note Spare Room's options for "gender" not representative of current or future potential housemates.*
🖤 House Culture
We are looking to create a home grounded in mutual care and solidarity; a space that is feminist, anti-racist, pro-survivor, abolitionist, fat-positive, and oriented towards disability justice; a sanctuary in a hostile world; a hub of cross-pollination for wider circles of interdependence in our communities.
In practice, we think that looks like:
- regular house meetings
- consensus based decision making
- splitting rent and bills based on income and access to wealth (note that Spare Room prices listed do not reflect this)
- conscious division of domestic labor
- some level of communal food-sharing, cooking, eating
- exercising caution with regards to Covid safety, not just for ourselves but as a matter of public health
Two double rooms available starting latest October 11th, possibly earlier. Some flexibility for move-in date. Let us know your timeline when reaching out! Rooms are semi-furnished, details to be discussed.
Rent per room depends on who's sharing expenses, but splitting rent flat would be £500/room (not including bills). Bills run the current tenants £385/month for the whole house (council tax, electric, gas, internet), but could likely be accessed more cheaply.
Not 100% sure, but it seems likely no references or guarantors are required. We are waiting to hear from landlord about the use of housing benefit. We can talk more about this as needed.
Security deposit of one month's rent upon move-in.
The house itself:
- big back garden with porch and green space
- covered outdoor bike storage
- two bathrooms, one with shower and one with bath tub
- good size kitchen
- washing machine
- living room
- one parking spot in driveway and more free on street
- Low scent, not scent-free (some essential oils, incense, burning herbs. people smoke cigarettes outside.)
- House is three floors. Living room, kitchen, and washing machine on ground floor. Two bedrooms and bathroom with tub on middle floor. Two bedrooms and bathroom with shower on top floor. Front and back doors have lips but no steps. 14 steps to middle floor. 14 steps to top floor. Each floor is flat. Rear deck has two steps down to the garden.
- There is a neighbor's cat who has adopted this household as her own and will be in and out of the house regularly.
- No entry system, just doorbell for sound.
- No induction loops.
- Walls are a bit thin in terms of noise, more so horizontally than between floors.
✨ Seeking in Potential Housemates
No men. No tankies/statists. 26+. Kind, communicative, self-aware people who want to invest time and energy in their home, and also have particular interests and passions of their own. Ideally six months minimum commitment. Looking to sign a new tenancy contract together, but not required. Message if interested!
[Images are from the initial estate listing. The garden is much more wild these days, and the furniture is all totally different.]
- £500 pcm (double)
- £500 pcm (double)
- Minimum term
- Maximum term
- Bills included?
- Disabled access
- Living room
- Broadband included
- # housemates
- Total # rooms
- 27 to 32
- Any pets?
- music, cooking, art, gaming, dancing, history, technology, computers, diy, plants, activism, social justice
- 2 Females
New housemate preferences
- Couples OK?
- Smoking OK?
- Pets OK?
- Don't mind
- Min age
- Males or females
Report this ad
We have staff moderating our ads 7 days per week, to keep quality high. Please help us in our job and if there is any problem with this ad, for example:
- The photos are not of the room advertised
- The description is misleading
- The ad is generic rather than for a specific available room
- The advertiser is not a current flatmate