- For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, Flatshare Limited ("We", "Us" "Our") will be the data controller in respect of any personal data you submit to us or which we collect from you when you use our website. We are a private limited company with company registration number 04407847 - our registered office is at 5th Floor, Dale House, 35 Dale Street, Manchester, M1 2HF, UK. For more information see 'about us '.
35 Dale Street
Phone: 0161 768 1162
The information we collect from you
- We collect the information you provide to us when you register on the site, including your name, gender, email address and search preferences. We use this information to create a user account for you on our site and to provide our services to you, including publishing your adverts on the site and facilitating introductions with other members of our site. However, we will not share your email address with other users of the site unless you have specifically chosen to disclose it. Where you have not opted out of receiving them, we will also use this information to send you email notifications of other users’ adverts matching your search preferences and/or newsletters about our own services we think may be of interest to you from time to time. We will not sell or rent any of this information to any third parties nor send you any third party marketing communications unless you have specifically opted in to receiving them.
- We may collect any information contained in correspondence between you and us. For example, if you contact us we may keep a record of that correspondence. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our website or any content or services made available through it.
- We may also collect and store any information contained in communications between yourself and other users on the site, where such communications have taken place via our on-site messaging system. We do not routinely monitor all communications but we may use software to track communications and we reserve the right to monitor them in order to investigate any suspected breach of our terms and conditions, illegal behaviour or any other misuse of our service or for any other reasonable reason as determined by us from time to time.
- If you choose to register and log in to our site using your Facebook profile you are agreeing to share some of the information contained in your Facebook profile with us, such as your friends list, your education and work history, your email address and your interests. We may use this information to improve your user experience on the site and to match you with other users of the site who you are already friends with on Facebook, or who have similar interests or histories to you.
Use of your information
- to ensure that content from the website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for the device you’re using;
- to send you alerts about adverts that match your search preferences and to let you know when other users of the site have expressed an interest in any adverts you have posted to the site;
- to provide you with other marketing communications by post and/or electronic means (such as email, SMS and/or MMS) about our products, services, events, special discounts and offers, which you have requested to be sent or which we feel may interest you, where you have not opted out of being contacted for such purposes;
- to send you other general (non-marketing) commercial communications, such as information about the website and services provided to you by us at that time;
- to provide customer service in relation to your use of the website, to contact you, to deal with enquiries and complaints relating to the use of the website and to notify you about changes to our services;
- to develop, improve and personalise the website so as to improve your user browsing experience; and
- to provide third parties with statistical information about our users - this information will not be able to be used to identify any individual user.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to:
- a third party, if you have chosen to log in to our site by using your profile and account details from that third party’s own website, such as Facebook;
- any third party who intends to publish any comments or reviews you’ve written about our site in any medium, including on third party websites, so your comments and reviews can be verified by that third party;
- any third party to whom disclosure is necessary to enable us to provide you with any services or products that you have requested through the site;
- any person to whom disclosure is necessary to enable us to enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of Flatshare Ltd or our customers or employees or where such disclosure may be required by law; and/or
- any acquirer or potential acquirer of all, or substantially all, of the share capital or assets of Flatshare Limited.
- You should note that the public elements of the website, including any adverts you post on the site, will be visible to other users of the website anywhere in the world. You should therefore be careful when submitting information about yourself and only submit information you’re happy to be publicly available.
- Some cookies we use are necessary for our website to function properly and to enable you to move around the site and use its features. In addition we also use so called "functional" cookies, which allow our website to remember choices you’ve made in relation to the website, so as to provide a more personalised and enhanced user experience. Examples of the functional cookies we use on the site, and the information we collect through the use of those cookies, include those that remember details about your account preferences, including your password and login details, your search history and adverts you have posted to the site, the types of alerts and newsletters you have opted to receive and the types of adverts you are interested in hearing about.
- As mentioned above, we may also use an analytics service provider, such as Google Analytics, for website traffic analysis and reporting. Analytics service providers generate statistical and other information about website use by means of cookies that are stored on users' computers. The information generated relating to the website may be used to create reports about the use of the website - the analytics service provider will store this information. Individual users will not be identifiable from this information.
- In addition, we are also using the following types of cookies on the site:
- Google AdWords
- Using Google AdWords code, we are able to see which pages helped lead to registering and, where applicable, upgrading. This allows us to make better use of our paid search budget on Google.. You can also choose to opt-out of AdWords remarketing here.
- We use Google Analytics remarketing codes to log when users view specific pages or take specific actions on the website. This allows us to provide targeted advertising in the future when you browse other websites.
- Visual DNA
- We use a VisualDNA tag to anonymously collect information about users' browsing activity on our website (this does not include names, addresses or any other personal information). This information is linked to a cookie that VisualDNA sets in your browser. This information allows us and VisualDNA to build a profile so that your online experience can be made more relevant to your specific interests. You have the right to opt out from VisualDNA's service by clicking here and choosing the ‘Cookie Settings’ option. VisualDNA does not store or share personally identifiable information with any third party, other than in anonymised, aggregated form.
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting
- These help us better understand who our users are so we can make content on other channels, such as YouTube, more relevant. You can choose to opt out of these cookies here.
Turning off cookies
- If you don’t want us to install cookies on your computer for these purposes, you can change the settings on your internet browser to reject cookies. All modern browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. These settings will typically be found in the 'options' or 'preferences' menu of your browser. In order to understand these settings the following links may be helpful, otherwise you should use the 'Help' option in your browser for more details:
All payment for any products or services offered through our site, including for any adverts or Early Bird, access are made via a secure server provided by our third party payment processors, currently WorldPay, ImpulsePay (for mobile payments) and Paypal. We will not collect, store or process any credit card or other payment information on our own servers. We are a Safe Buy accredited website.
Third party content, websites and contributors
- Our website may contain content and links to other websites and microsites that are operated by third parties. In addition, advertisements contained on our website may operate as links to that advertiser’s website, and such advertisers and third parties may also use and place cookies on your computer.
Security and data retention
- We employ appropriate technological and operational security measures to protect against any unauthorised access to or unlawful processing of any personal information about you that we hold. We will retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as the law requires or permits.
- Data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure. Although we employ appropriate technological and organisational security measures to protect your data we cannot guarantee the security of any data sent over the internet.
International data transfers
- Our servers are situated in Scotland, however we collect data from wherever users are situated. The information we collect will therefore be transferred to the UK from any other country in which you may be located and will be subject to UK data protection laws rather than the laws of the country in which you are resident.
- We do not transfer personal data collected via our website outside the European Economic Area (unless you have consented; it is necessary to provide the services you have requested; or it is otherwise required or permitted by law).
- You are entitled to know what personal data we hold about you and you may ask us to make any necessary changes to ensure it is accurate and kept up to date. If you wish to do this, please contact us using the contact information provided in section 1 above. We are entitled by law to charge a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you and we may also require you to provide us with appropriate identification.
- You may request that we cease sending you any marketing information at any time by notifying us in writing, following any "unsubscribe" instructions included in any marketing communications which we send to you, or by clicking on "My Account" on the website homepage and updating your account preferences.