A successful company is like a flatshare - it’s the people that make it work
Are you looking for a rewarding job? With over 3 million visits per month, we’re the UK’s leading flat and house share website. We’re in the top 10 UK property sites and the top 500 sites overall for UK traffic.
Over 10,000 people attend our London SpeedFlatmating events every year and we took the events to New York in 2012. SpareRoom New York launched in the autumn of 2011.
In 2012 we won two awards - Best Specialist Website and Best Customer Service - at the UK Landlord & Letting Awards, and in 2013 our founder and MD was named by Tech City Insider as “one of the top 100 people who are making digital London tick”.
The pioneering online business that has transformed the
way people look for somewhere to live
- Daily Express
Life at SpareRoom
SpareRoom’s staff are a diverse bunch of creative individuals who enjoy being part of a small team that packs a big punch.
We have two offices — our main one in the centre of Macclesfield (20 mins to Manchester or 1 hour 40 to London) and another in London’s trendy Spitalfields, a stone’s throw from the heart of Tech City. Both offer a relaxed and friendly working environment in light and open plan offices. Apart from it being an enjoyable place to work, SpareRoom offers a range of additional benefits such as sports membership contributions and extra holidays the longer you work for us.
Could this be you?
We’re looking for talented and enthusiastic individuals to add to our growing team, and to help us help millions of people find somewhere new to live. If you are creative and hard working, you will see your ideas having a direct effect on SpareRoom and how it develops.
We have the following roles available:
Digital Content Intern (London) £16k
About The Role:
Reporting to the Social & Content Marketing Manager, the Digital Content Intern will be the hub for all content that needs to be produced by SpareRoom. This person will own the curation of social stories both large and small externally and act as a hub within the business to collect internal stories from SpareRoom ads, Customer Service, Product and PR. The role requires end-to-end content curation: searching through SpareRoom ads for social stories, classifying, cataloguing, reformatting, execution and reporting. The ideal candidate will bring expert editing skills, a strong aesthetic sense, and a social evangelist mentality to the position. This person will work closely with the Social & Content Marketing Manager and have the opportunity to be embedded in the creation process from step one. We want a team player to come in ready to question what was done before and eager to learn more about content marketing.
What will an Intern learn?
- Learning about measurement and reporting of social media campaigns.
- Gaining an understanding of how to implement a social media strategy to drive online engagement and influence as well as learning how to attract a new following.
- Learning how to compile social content into a weekly content stream across all social platforms.
- Gaining experience in the day-to-day listening, monitoring and maintenance of their social media networks and content areas.
- The opportunity to contribute to the creation of content and develop ideas for creative campaigns.
- Learning about SEO and how to use key tools including Google analytics.
The ideal candidate's personality and qualifications:
- Creative, artistic, energetic, and full of ideas bringing a positive ethos to everything they do.
- You have an understanding of Social Media.
- You should have good MS Excel and Word skills.
- Passion and interest in social media.
- Keen to develop skills and learn.
- Have an inquisitive mind and ponder the “why?” in data.
Digital Content Curator responsibilities:
- Curate existing digital content to inspire SpareRoom content to be published across all owned social channels.
- Research possible social influencers to partner with to drive brand reach.
- Curate interesting stories from SpareRoom ads to help drive advocacy of sharing.
- Assist in managing the social editorial calendar and the processes thadrive content production.
- Test and measure existing content for relevance and results.
- Help ensure all content is accurate, relevant, timely and meets all brand aesthetic, tone, and voice standards
Digital Content Curator requirements:
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment across multiple departments.
- Team player who is confident expressing his/her ideas yet willing to receive constructive feedback from others
- Willingness to update skill sets as new opportunities arise
- Attention to detail and commitment to flawless execution
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Experience with Photoshop
- Experience managing digital content via a Content Management System
- Experience working with agile methodologies and scrum processes
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art techniques for mapping content to multiple user personas
Android/Java Developer SpareRoom (Macclesfield) £24k - £30k pa plus benefits
The goal of the Android Developer is to help improve SpareRoom's Android app.
The role will involve:
- Development of new features for SpareRoom's Android app
- Support for fixing bugs in the current code
- Testing, which may include unit testing and alpha testing of mobile apps
- Help to design, test and improve our APIs
- Collaborate with the mobile team
- Write documentation for the work done
We are looking for a motivated professional with a passion for software development focused on mobile devices. You must have good interpersonal skills, a proactive and positive personality with strong attention to detail and a motivation for perfection in your work.
- Solid java programming
- Knowledge of the Android SDK
- Understanding of the HTTP protocol and RESTful APIs
- Object-Oriented mindset and background in MVC
- Knowledge of Android native UIs
- Team collaboration skills
- Android user
Nice to have:
- Experience building Android apps
- Experience with REST APIs
- Understanding of Material design principles
- Experience with software design patterns
- Understanding and use of UML
- Experience using Git
- Experience with testing frameworks
- Experience with analytics frameworks
This is an amazing opportunity to join and learn from the talented team behind SpareRoom, improving your existing expertise and learning new skills, working in a collaborative, friendly and diplomatic environment.
If you're looking to work with an exciting and growing team, helping us to deliver an amazing customer experience, then this is the right place for you.
We don't have silos, hierarchies, four hour meetings, bureaucracy or lots of paperwork and politics. What we can offer you is the ability to improve your already great skills, learn totally new stuff and have fun building and growing with the team.
Assistant site moderator (Macclesfield)
Spareroom.co.uk are the UK's number 1 flat share website and are looking to recruit an Assistant Site Moderator to meet the growing needs of the business. The full time position will involve using a purpose built system to investigate suspicious adverts with the aim of preventing attempted scams or misuse of our site services. At times the position may also require liaising with external authorities and supporting other departments within the company.
Responsibilities and duties:
- To investigate and take appropriate action on reports of suspicious adverts.
- To provide information and advice to other departments and customers in relation to scam detection.
- To assist in developing, monitoring and implementing processes to aid scam detection and prevent future instances.
- Maintain information records and collate data to aid future investigations.
- Ensure advert content including photos and videos meet the terms and conditions of the website.
- Complete individual customer verifications and tenant reference requests.
- Assist with the completion of DPA requests from relevant authorities.
- The ability to demonstrate a high level of analytical understanding, an eye for detail and strong computer skills.
- Initiative when working alone and as part of a team.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and influence others.
Experience and Education:
- The role involves some interaction with customers and may suit someone with a background in customer services. Any of the following may also be relevant: Financial services/E commerce fraud detection, Copy editing, Bookkeeping.
- The successful candidate should be educated to A-Level or equivalent standard, a degree would be beneficial but is not essential.
- You should be a regular and savvy internet user, understanding commonly used terminology and demonstrating an ability to recognise fake websites or scam emails.
Customer Service Advisor (Macclesfield)
Our award winning Customer Service Advisors provide outstanding support to SpareRoom's 5 million registered users. They also handle compliance and maintenance duties as well as identifying and resolving issues on the site.
You’ll be part of a busy team who work hard but who have fun along the way and are renowned for excellent service.
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong customer focus and able to deliver great service, both individually and as part of a team.
- Experience in web or IT customer service or graduate with ability to prove relevant transferable knowledge and skills.
- Confident and positive personality with excellent communication skills.
- Able to clearly communicate technical information to non-technical people, both orally and in writing.
- Computer literate with experience of e-mail and the Internet plus a reasonable standard of typing. Touch typing isn't a necessity but would be an advantage.
- We're an online service so regular internet use and knowledge will go a long way.
Get in touch
Send us your CV and tell us why the SpareRoom team needs you: jobs at spareroom dot co dot uk
Where we are
SpareRoom’s main office is in Macclesfield, a historic market town surrounded by stunning Cheshire countryside and a short train ride from Manchester (it’s only an hour and 40 minutes from London). Our second office is in London, which is London - need we say more?