A successful company is like a flatshare - it’s the people that make it work
Are you looking for a rewarding job? With over 3 million visits per month, we’re the UK’s leading flat and house share website. We’re in the top 10 UK property sites and the top 500 sites overall for UK traffic.
Over 10,000 people attend our London SpeedFlatmating events every year and we took the events to New York in 2012. SpareRoom New York launched in the autumn of 2011.
In 2012 we won two awards - Best Specialist Website and Best Customer Service - at the UK Landlord & Letting Awards, and in 2013 our founder and MD was named by Tech City Insider as “one of the top 100 people who are making digital London tick”.
The pioneering online business that has transformed the
way people look for somewhere to live
- Daily Express
Life at SpareRoom
SpareRoom’s staff are a diverse bunch of creative individuals who enjoy being part of a small team that packs a big punch.
We have two offices — our main one in the centre of Macclesfield (20 mins to Manchester or 1 hour 40 to London) and another in London’s trendy Spitalfields, a stone’s throw from the heart of Tech City. Both offer a relaxed and friendly working environment in light and open plan offices. Apart from it being an enjoyable place to work, SpareRoom offers a range of additional benefits such as sports membership contributions and extra holidays the longer you work for us.
Could this be you?
We’re looking for talented and enthusiastic individuals to add to our growing team, and to help us help millions of people find somewhere new to live. If you are creative and hard working, you will see your ideas having a direct effect on SpareRoom and how it develops.
We have the following roles available:
Perl developer (Macclesfield or London)
You’ll be responsible for developing and expanding our website’s backend Perl code, automating tests and infrastructure tasks, providing internal support and fixing bugs. We’re big on code quality and encourage well-tested, maintainable code over rushing to hit deadlines. You’ll be working on a small, self-organising team so this job will suit someone who thrives on the chance to work hard, innovate and make a huge difference.
- Ability to work as part of a small team
- An understanding of the importance of up-time for a busy web site
- Attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Perl 5 programming, preferably procedural and OO
- Web application development
- Good teamwork and communication skills
- Keen eye for detail
- Willingness to learn
- Apache and mod_perl
- Relational databases (e.g. MySQL)
- Version control (e.g. Subversion or Git)
- Test frameworks
- Linux command line usage
- High-level programming experience in other languages (e.g. Ruby, Python)
Junior developer & site support (Macclesfield)
This is a great opportunity to join the talented team behind SpareRoom, and to improve your existing expertise and learn new skills. This is a varied role that includes the opportunity to learn new skills while building on your existing expertise. Covering a wide range of duties it offers the chance to define your own career path as you grow with the role and decide which direction you want to take.
The role will include:
- Working with developers to troubleshoot bugs and implement new features
- Using SQL, HTML and CSS to develop and maintain custom mailshots
- Supporting our customer services team
- Providing internal IT support for SpareRoom staff
- Documenting problems & their fixes, infrastructure and site features
Experience with any of the following will be an advantage:
- Database admin and development (e.g. ANSI SQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Sphinx)
- Web server concepts (e.g. Apache, nginx)
- Linux command-line, OS X
- TCP/IP, networking, firewalls
Get in touch
Send us your CV and tell us why the SpareRoom team needs you: jobs at spareroom dot co dot uk
Where we are
SpareRoom’s main office is in Macclesfield, a historic market town surrounded by stunning Cheshire countryside and a short train ride from Manchester (it’s only an hour and 40 minutes from London). Our second office is in London, which is London - need we say more?