Why have I not received a response?
We answer some frequently asked questions about how the SpareRoom messaging system works.
- Where did you send my message?
- We sent your message to the recipients SpareRoom inbox and an email to their personal email address notifying them of the message. They will need to go to their SpareRoom inbox to read the message.
- When will the user receive it?
- There is a short delay for security reasons before messages are sent.
- Why have I not received a response yet?
- Some users check their email and/or log into SpareRoom less frequently than others - you should be patient and allow at least 36 hours for a reply
- Some users' email programs/providers have more enthusiastic spam filtering than others, sometimes trashing wanted messages as well as unwanted. However, as we send a message to their SpareRoom inbox too, your message will be available for them whenever they log back in.
- If the ad is very popular, the user may be inundated with messages and it may take them some time to sort through them and respond to everyone who got in touch.
- If the user decides for whatever reason that you are unsuitable for the room, they may choose to not respond for fear of offending you. We try to make it easy for people to respond by offering an auto decline response.
- Other reasons beyond our control, such as:
- a user supplying an incorrect email address
- the room is let. Though we send regular reminders and make it very easy for users to inform us when a room is taken, not everyone removes their advert in good time.
- What can I do if I don't receive a response within 2 days?
- The best thing you can do is to try calling them if they have left a number with their advert. Some prefer telephone contact anyway. Find their ad, then click on "Contact advertiser", then "Contact by phone". Failing that, the best thing to do is to keep checking the listings. We get literally 1000s of new rooms every day, so chances are there will be plenty more rooms that are suitable for you coming in.
- Ive sent lots of messages but rarely get any response. Whats going on?
If youre not getting any response at all, its worth taking a look at the messages youve sent have you taken the time to introduce yourself a little, rather than jumping straight to arranging a viewing?
Its helpful to say a little about your background, where you work, your reasons for looking to live in this area, and what attracted you to this particular ad. If you make all your messages sound the same, there is less chance of a response as the recipient doesnt feel youre talking to them personally, merely firing off identical messages to everyone you come across.
When an advertiser is inundated with responses, they are likely to choose between the users who most closely resemble the person they would like to share with if you give them no information, theyre unlikely to choose you. The best way to get across more about what youre looking for or offering is to create an ad of your own this will be available to the recipient when you message them, giving you a chance to introduce yourself more fully. Remember to include a good photo of yourself too.